Letter of Self-Introduction

Subject: Self-Introduction

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Pay Xuan Ju. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic in 2017 with a Diploma in Aeronautical and Aerospace Technology.

During the three years in polytechnic, my interest and passion for engineering grew as I realized how closely related it is to our everyday life. Hence, I decided to switch to Mechanical Engineering as it covers a wider aspect of engineering. I believe that Mechanical Engineering is more applicable to our lives and the knowledge I gain through this course will be beneficial to my future job prospects. Furthermore, the demand for Mechanical Engineers is growing rapidly in Singapore as we further progress into a technological hub.

Having grown up in a Chinese speaking family, I am more well-versed in Mandarin. I often find myself stumbling to find the right words to communicate effectively in English. My standard of English has impacted my confidence level and as a result, communicating with professionals or even my peers has always been a weakness of mine. There were instances where I find myself choosing not to express my opinions in group settings as I was unable to articulate my thoughts properly. 

With that said, I have also learned to listen actively to others and to keep an open mind while trying to understand other people’s points of view. This has taught me the values of empathy and respect. As such, my peers would often approach me when they need a listening ear or advice. My social circle has also provided me with more opportunities to communicate. 

I strongly believe that communication skills are an essential aspect of the 21st Century Competencies and a skill that I want to hone. In line with my goal to communicate more effectively, I want to be able to speak more confidently as a professional and deliver my points across more clearly to a larger audience. I would also like to improve my writing skills.

Best Regards,

Pay Xuan Ju

Comments

  1. Hi Xuan Ju, this is Zhi Wei from the same class group 4.

    Do you have any future goals that you would like to achieve as an engineer after you graduate in the future?

    I enjoyed reading your introduction and it also come to my thoughts that we have the same mindset which agrees that communication skills are an essential aspect of the 21st century due to how it can affect the impression we leave to others after the first meeting. Without a positive impression , people might be bias against us.

    Thank you for your time to write a introduction. Hope to have more communication with you in class and know you better

    Best regards,
    Peh Zhi Wei

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear XJ,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and well-developed letter. You address all the touchpoints of the assignment and you provide clear specific detail. I really appreciate learning about how your interest in mechnical engineering has evolved .

    You also do a fine job of discussing in detail your strength and weakness in communication. I like how you mention 21st century competencies as having value as you develop your own skills, and I really appreciate the fluency of this letter.

    There are a few minor issues in this letter in terms of language use:

    1. verb tense
    -- There were instances where I find myself choosing not to express my opinions in group settings as I was unable to articulate my thoughts properly. > (only in the past? not current?)

    2. overuse of caps

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First summary draft: Where's My Supersuit

Annotated summary